Vehicle Rental

Car rentals must be booked using the mandatory contract for Enterprise Rent-A-Car or National Car Rental.  Our contracted rates with Enterprise/National have been loaded into the Concur Travel system and include Collision Damage Waiver (CDW), so travelers should decline additional insurance unless they are renting a vehicle internationally.  Travelers are strongly encouraged to use a University issued Procurement Card (P-Card) when paying for car rentals.   This ensures the transaction is exempt from Kansas Sales Tax and prevents travelers from having to request reimbursement.  When travelers pay for travel expenses out of pocket, they cannot be reimbursed until after the travel is complete.

If travelers rent a vehicle from another rental company due to Enterprise/National unavailability, the University requires that you purchase Collision or Lost Damage Waiver coverage.  Only in these circumstances is CDW or its equivalent paid or reimbursed.  No other insurance or coverage will be reimbursed unless renting internationally. While renting a vehicle for University business, drivers and their passengers are covered under KU's liability insurance.

Employees are to use the most economical rental vehicle that adequately fulfills the needs of the traveler.  Vehicle size is to be determined by the number of travelers and use (i.e. transporting equipment).

Documentation required: Vehicles must be for official business use only.

  1. Rental agreement/Receipt
  2. Copy of itinerary.