Tips for Travelers When State Funds Are Used

All or a portion of your trip will be paid for with state funds. This tip sheet is designed to help with common travel expenses to speed reimbursement or reduce out-of-pocket expenses. It is not designed to be an all-inclusive document of travel policies and procedures. Complete travel information, including a travel handbook, is available.

Traveler tips

Travelers are expected to pay their own way, and are not to use personal funds to pay for other travelers. However, travelers may use a University issued procurement card to pay for their own travel expenses and those of other travelers as this is considered a direct-purchase by the University. Reimbursement does not occur until the travel is complete regardless of when expenses are incurred.

Travelers who do not have sufficient personal funds for travel may apply for a Business Travel Card (BTC). The State of Kansas has contracted with UMB Bank to provide personal credit cards to employees who travel. The BTC and its use is the personal responsibility of the employee to whom the card is issued. The State and University accept no responsibility for its misuse. Employees with a BTC shall direct all billing questions to the card issuer.

The procurement card (p-card) can be used to pay for all travel expenses, except for meals. The p-card may only be used to pre-pay one night of lodging to “guarantee” the reservation. Prepayment for lodging using travel websites such as Expedia, Travelocity, and others is not allowed on the p-card as it results in prepayment of the entire stay.

Itemized receipts are required for all transactions, including airfare, luggage fees, lodging, except for meals and certain miscellaneous expenses when not available such as local transportation, parking, tips for baggage handlers, and tolls. When in doubt, ask for a receipt. Credit card statements and canceled checks are not receipts and will not be accepted as proof of payment.

Meals are reimbursed according to meal allowance schedules and amounts at listed on this website. The rate includes all associated taxes and tips. Receipts are not needed. Transportation to or from meal establishments will not be reimbursed nor is it allowed with the procurement card.

The University does not pay for travel insurance or car rental insurance. Collision damage waiver (CDW) is automatically included when the mandatory car rental companies (Enterprise and National) are used.

For individual flight segments of four hours or more, an expanded leg room seat may be purchased.

Travelers shall use the most advantageous or economical mode of transportation. This may include airfare, car rental, taxi, shuttles or other public transportation. Travelers electing to utilize transportation costing more than a less expensive mode of transportation (example: renting a car vs. using a taxi or shuttle) must provide sufficient justification as to why the least expensive mode was not used. If the justification is not sufficient, the expense will not be allowed. Regardless of funding source, if a vehicle is rented, it must be from the mandatory car rental (Enterprise and National) contract. Collision damage waiver (CDW) is automatically included when the mandatory car rental contract (Enterprise and National) is used.