Purchasing Services is committed to supporting the instructional, research and public service mission of the University of Kansas through fulfilling our departmental mission and values.
- Develop and maintain a purchasing system that empowers our customers to make good business decisions and to pursue excellence while maintaining good internal controls to insure accountability, compliance with all applicable laws, rules and regulations and the responsible stewardship of the university's resources.
- This will be achieved by developing and utilizing:
- Financial systems that allow efficient transaction processing and accountability through documentation, multiple audit approvals and reporting.
- High quality training programs and easily accessible purchasing information.
- User friendly buying tools which promote competition and open access to the vendor community.
- Strategic supplier relationships that leverage the university's purchasing power.
- Open market access and the competitive forces it has to offer.
- Collaboration opportunities with the State of Kansas, Kansas Board of Regents institutions, other higher ed institutions and higher ed purchasing cooperatives.
- We will pursue excellence in all that we do.
- We will be accountable as individuals and as a department for the services we provide and will strive to meet the needs of our internal and external customers at all times.
- We will listen to and respect the needs of our internal and external customers. We will seek their input and work to develop strong mutually beneficial partnerships.
- We will strive to be flexible in order to meet the needs of our customers within the parameters established by our policies and procedures.
- We will constantly monitor changes in technology and best business practices and work to integrate those we feel will benefit our customers into our policies, procedures and systems.
- We will promote competition. We will promote vendor access. We will document all that we do. We will operate in a transparent manner to the greatest extent allowed by law.
- We will recognize and respect that vendors are in business to seek profits. We will accept our responsibility to seek savings as aggressively as vendors seek profits. We will work to achieve fair and mutually beneficial outcomes in all transactions and strategic business relationships.
- We will constantly work to improve our department and ourselves as individual procurement professionals by seeking out training and collaboration opportunities.