From purchase to payment

Moving Expenses

Moving Expense Policy

Moving Expense Reminders

  • Questions on moving expenses contact Laura Albin, ext. 4-5940.
  • All moving expense forms are located on the Procurement website, under Payables, Forms, Moving Expense Forms
  • If KUEA cannot be direct billed for the moving company expense and the traveler is going to pay the company than 3 quotes must be obtained and attached to paperwork at submission
  • The preferred method to pay a moving company is to request that the moving company direct bill KUEA
  • Employee appointment to KU must be at least 12 months
  • The first step in paying for moving expenses is for the department and employee to complete the written agreement (Form DA-22)
  • Moving office or lab equipment that will be used in the employee’s place of work should be paid separately from personal moving expenses and can be paid with state funds
  • All moving expenses must be paid with private funds – either KUEA or KUCR using funds 720, 721, or 725
  • Moving expenses can only be reimbursed after the employee moves to their new residence
  • Self-moves are allowed when both the employee and the department are in agreement and the costs appear to be reasonable.  Estimates are not required but department can request an estimate be provided. Repairs for moving van cannot be reimbursed.  Packing materials, such as boxes and tape, are reimbursable.
  • Moving a mobile home is allowed. If commercial transportation is used tolls, charges, and permit fees can be reimbursed.
  • Moving company expenses – if possible have vendor direct bill KUEA. If that is not possible and traveler is paying moving company directly, traveler must obtain 3 quotes. Quote includes cost of transportation, packing and unpacking, delivery, and insurance. Employee must use lowest quote. Employee can only be reimbursed for moving up to 12,000 pounds. Actual weight must be shown by carrier in quote.

Announcements & News

The University of Kansas has a Tobacco Free policy that extends to all visitors, including suppliers and contractors.

One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities
44 nationally ranked graduate programs.
—U.S. News & World Report
Top 50 nationwide for size of library collection.
5th nationwide for service to veterans —"Best for Vets: Colleges," Military Times
KU Today