Concur Travel FAQs
The categories below contain answers to several Concur Travel Frequently Asked Questions. If you do not see the answer to your questions here, please contact the KU Travel Program manager, Lori Gutsch at email@example.com or the Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Concur System & Profile Questions
The University of Kansas has partnered with Corporate Travel Planners (CTP) and Concur to introduce Concur Travel, an online travel booking tool that complements our existing Concur Request & Expense. Its content, provided by CTP, is real-time inventory directly from the Global Distribution System (GDS) and Direct Connect suppliers such as Southwest Airlines with our contracted discounts and University policies configured into the system. This means what travelers see in Concur Travel is what they see directly on the airlines website, but in one place with our discounts and policies built in. Therefore, travelers will be able to quickly and easily see and book hotles, cars, and flights from all airlines in one place with a guarantee from CTP that our content contains the lowest logical airfare published and available at the time of booking based on our traveler's point of departure and arrival, stated itinerary, and our travel policy. Using Concur Travel allows the University to streamline the travel process, offering an integrated 'one stop shop' for pre-approved travel requests, booking travel, and easily completed expense reports for quicker reimbursement. Concur also affords you the peace of mind knowing you are covered under the University’s Duty of Care to receive automated and two-way risk messaging built into the Concur system. Booking through the University's travel program ensures you can be supported by the University and/or our team of CTP travel agents should difficulties arise before or during your trip.
By using Concur Travel & the Concur Mobile App you can:
- Book and manage the majority of your University travel in one place.
- Access the University's discounted rates for airfare, hotel, and car rentals.
- Maintain a secure online profile to store and use your TSA PreCheck and Frequent Travelers programs as well as other travel preferences and payment method.
- Avoid sending PDF or paper copies of receipts to the SSC. E-receipts for flights, e-receipt eligible hotel and car rental vendors are sent directly to your Concur Expense profile. Plus, you can upload images of your receipts using the Concur Mobile App.
- Ensure compliance as travel policies, procedures and contracts are built into the system, including nightly per diem rates for hotels by location and Fly America Act.
- Accurately track and use unused ticket credits, including reminders as credit expirations approach.
- Receive travel updates alerts. Automated and two-way risk and safety messaging is available for all travelers who have booked travel using the Concur Travel system or CTP.
Additionally, here are some of the cost-savings and value-added benefits and services offered by CTP directly and/or through the Concur Travel system:
- Duty of Care monitoring to help get travelers to and from destinations safely
- 24/7 customer service
- As a direct partner with the airlines, CTP has direct expedited access to quickly assist travelers with emergency flight changes caused by missed connections or cancelled flights
- Established relationships with airlines and hotels to better negotiate on our behalf
- Lowest available airfares*
- Rapid Re-pricing when fares or rates drop
- Up to 60% off corporate hotel rates and free hotel amenities through the Travel Leaders Select Hotel program
- Free quotes and online booking support
- International Travel expertise through their International Rates Desk
- Study Abroad, Meeting Management & Group (10+) Travel Services
- Destination information and travel advisories
- Passport and visa assistance
*CTP will provide the lowest logical airfare published and available at the time of booking, based on the traveler’s point of departure and arrival, stated itinerary and the company’s travel policy.
KU employees are required to use the Concur Travel booking tool or CTP's bookiing services to take advantage of safety features, travel support, efficiencies, and potential cost savings.
The University has a Duty of Care obligation to ensure to the best of their ability the safety of its Faculty, Staff, and Students not only on campus but while they are traveling on behalf of the University. Itinerary data from Concur Travel bookings and bookings directly with CTP feed into Concur’s safety monitoring module called Locate. With Locate, the University’s risk managers within the Office of Global Operations and Security can communicate with you if your safety is ever at risk. These communications can prepare you for upcoming travel, inform you about disruptions and even help you navigate dangerous events – no matter where you are in the world. Completing a Travel Request and using Concur Travel ensures you’ll know about potentially dangerous situations in your area and helps KU check in on your status and provide assistance if necessary, through the following communication channels: email, text, and Concur Mobile app alerts. Requiring the use of Concur Travel and/or CTP better ensures traveler safety as it gives risk managers better visibility into where all KU travelers are and the immediate ability to communicate with travelers potentially at risk.
The following per transaction fees apply when using Concur Travel and CTP travel services:
|Transaction per person||Online Booking fee per transaction||CTP Full-Service fees|
|Air only --or-- Air/Car/Hotel combo||$9.00*||$20.00 – per transaction|
|Flight Exchange||$9.00*||$20.00 – per transaction|
|Rail only||$5.00||$15.00 – per transaction|
|Car and/or Hotel only||$0.00||$10.00 – per transaction|
|Void/Cancellation||$0.00||$ 0.00 – per transaction|
|Group Bookings (10+ travelers)||N/A||$20.00 – per traveler w/ Air
$ 5.00 – Car/Hotel w/o Air per traveler
|After Hours Emergency
--please use after hours service for emergencies only
|$16.00 – per call w/o ticketing
$27.00 – per call w/ ticketing
$26.00 – per call w/ void or cancellation
$40.00 – per call w/ ticket exchange
*This online service fee consists of a $6 CTP agent fee and a $3 Concur fee, which shows on travel itineraries as a $9 Service Fee.
In your web browser, type: concur.ku.edu and sign in using your KU Single Sign-On. Trying to sign in on the concursolutions.com page does not work since we use SSO at KU.
The first time you log into Concur, you must update and save your profile before you first attempt to book a trip in Concur Travel. While updating your profile, please be sure to verify your email address and add your mobile device for safety messaging. Additionally, you will need to activate your E-Receipts.
Yes, this is done in the online profile within Concur Travel under the Frequent Travelers Program. As long as the name associated with the saved FTPs matches the name in Concur used to ticket the flight and pass airport security, they will be applied to relevant Concur Travel bookings and travelers will continue to receive their status rewards, points and benefits.
Concur has several required fields contained within the profile and while birthdate is only required for airline reservations, the same traveler profile is utilized regardless of what is being reserved.
Your online profile stores whatever KU, KUCR, or personal credit cards you input. Please be sure to identify a default card for each travel type (air, hotel, car, etc.). The Concur site is secure and fully encrypted. You will have a choice of which credit card you wish to use when making the reservation. Please confirm all your credit card information is set up in your profile. If the information is missing you will not be able to continue with your reservation. Rental Car and Hotel fares require credit card numbers at the point of sale/check-in. Be sure to have a card on hand.
For security and appropriate institutional compliance, travelers are not permitted to save a credit card assigned to another employee or a department card to their Concur profile.
- KU Employee Travelers need to use one of the following cards to book travel:
- A KU or KUCR issued P-Card in the traveler’s name
- A KU Declining Balance P-Card issued in the travel’s name. These can be assigned quickly, sometimes within hours.
- A personal credit card
- Guest Travel booked in Concur Travel by a KU Employee can be booked on that employee’s P-Card or department P-Card, as card information is not being stored in the system for guest bookings.
Employees can obtain a KU, KUCR or KU Declining Balance P-Card by completing the following:
- Complete P-Card application (Procurement Card Action Request)
- Have P-Card application approved by appropriate supervisor
- Complete and Pass the P-Card Quiz. P-card quizzes are administered in Blackboard. The requestor will be notified by email with directions for the quiz.
Travel Program Questions:
KU P-Card or Declining Balance P-Card Questions:
- Mike Lewis, Assistant Director of Procurement – Payables
- KU P-Card Coordinator
KUCR P-Card Questions:
If your P-Card or personal credit card saved in your Concur profile has changed in any way, you will need to update it in your Concur profile as soon as possible. This will ensure that any future reservations made online or with a CTP travel agent use an up to date card.
- If it is a system issue contact the helpdesk at email@example.com
- If it is a booking issue contact CTP at 877-630-1232 between 8am – 5pm CST, M-F to assist you. After Hours* Emergency Support is 877-200-1501 from 5:00 pm – 8:00 am CST, M-F, Weekends & Holidays. *Fees apply for After Hours calls, should only be used for emergencies.
Yes. Concur Open Dashboard http://open.concur.com/ provides a glimpse at system outages and interruptions. We are in the North America Data Center.
The system is set up to default the results to “search by price”. If you cannot find the flight you are looking for you can search by schedule which allows you to build your own itinerary. Under Trip Search, simply choose the appropriate drop-down before clicking Search on the main Concur Home Page. Search by Price displays flight options Concur Travel suggests you take based lowest cost, availability and company policy and may not show you all options or schedules.
Basic Economy tickets are “use it or lose it” tickets. If you need to change your flight for any reason, you forfeit your ticket and must purchase a new one. No changes are allowed and many times they do not include carry-on bags. Additionally, if a flight is oversold, Basic Economy seats are the first to be bumped from the flight which requires you to purchase a new ticket. For these reasons we have blocked Basic Economy from our Concur content.
A fare purchased that is $200 more costly than the lowest logical fare offered during your search parameters will be considered out of policy. Upon selecting the higher airfare, as denoted by a Yellow triangle with an exclamation point next to the Fare button, you will be presented with a pop-up box and will be required to select a reason code from a drop down box. Your selected fare, along with the less expensive alternatives that were presented to you, will be listed on an Exception Report which will be provided monthly to the University’s Travel Manager. It is recommended that the traveler or travel arranger be prepared to provide an after-the-fact explanation, if requested to do so.
Yes, and CTP’s Full-Service Agents can provide you with free quote options if you want their expert assistance but wish to book on your own through Concur Travel. It is recommended to book complex international travel directly through a CTP agent.
No, Concur only creates the reservation. CTP processes the ticket/invoice to ensure all information is captured for company purposes and quality controls the trip for accuracy.
You will receive an email directly from CTP which will signify your trip has been invoiced/ticketed. Keep this email as it contains important information you may need prior to or during travel and for your expense report. The SSC will need a copy of this email as a receipt for the CTP Agent/Service Fee. Additionally, in your Trip Library in Concur, you will see the status changed from Confirmed to Ticketed (if air is included).
Generally, quality control and ticket processing only take a matter of minutes so long as the system does not encounter any errors. The email provided by CTP is confirmation that your trip has been purchased and ticketing/invoicing has been successfully completed.
When you log into Concur Travel, you should see any unused tickets in the Alerts section at the top of the main Home Page. Additionally, you should see them in your profile as well as in the air search results matrix. If you have an unused ticket, on the Trip Booking Information page there is a dropdown to indicated that you wish to use your unused ticket credits. This will alert CTP to apply your credit. Remember unused ticket credits are airline specific and can only be applied against purchases from the same airline.
Yes. You can book up to 6 legs of travel on one reservation in Concur Travel. If the Trip Search on the Home Page, choose the Multi-Segment option of the Air search criteria section.
Users can opt to share a trip with another user so they can see/select the same flight and/or hotel arrangements. Additionally, on the Home Page while completing the Trip Search you can use the Adults # dropdown for booking up to 6 employees together. NOTE: you must be listed as an arranger on their profiles to use this option.
There may be several reasons for this. The most common reason is that the Basic Economy fares offered by the airlines and leisure sites have been blocked in Concur as mentioned above. Another reason we see fare discrepancies is due to inventory fluctuations – timing is everything and inventory availability and costs can change minute by minute. Any questions about fare discrepancies should be reported in detail to CTP at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fly America compliant flight options have an icon of a shield with a check mark in it that can be seen above the view fares button.
Hotel Reservation Questions
Conferences and meetings generally have hotel rooms blocked at a negotiated rate between the hotel and conference/meeting holder. These special rates will not appear in Concur Travel and therefore, you should follow the meeting organizer instructions for making reservations or you can check pricing in Concur to compare rates and book whichever is cheaper.
In your Trip Search do not choose a car/hotel while filling in your cities/dates on the Home Page. Continue through Concur Travel as if you are just doing an air-only trip. Upon reserving your flight, you will be presented with the Travel Details page. From this page you have the option to click on the link to Add Car / Add Hotel or Cancel Car / Cancel Hotel. This will allow you to choose where you want the car/hotel and for how long.
Yes. To add or modify a hotel, click the name of the trip you wish to modify in the My Trips section of the Concur Home Page. From the Travel Details page, in the Trip Overview section you can Add a Hotel to the existing trip. If you add the hotel separately and not to an existing trip, your itinerary items will not be consolidated into a single itinerary which can cause issues. There is no fee to add a hotel reservation to an existing trip.
No. Policy allows for 1 night prepaid deposit, before booking a prepaid, non-refundable Hotel room you must get preapproval from KURES or UKANS P-card coordinator. If you must choose a prepaid, non-refundable hotel room, you can select that room and you will be presented with a pop-up box and will be required to select a reason code from a drop down list. Your selected room, along with the compliant alternatives that were presented to you, will be listed on an Exception Report which will be provided monthly to the University’s Travel Manager. It is recommended that the traveler or travel arranger obtain preapproval from Mike Lewis (KU) or Kevin Teel (KUCR) before booking a prepaid, non-refundable room and submit that preapproval to the SSC to process with the transaction.
If you need to cancel a hotel and you are within the penalty window defined by the hotel, please contact CTP to assist you. If this happens after-hours, please contact the hotel directly or use the after-hours* service noted on your itinerary. *A Fee will be assessed for after-hours services.
Rental Car Reservation Questions
Yes, Enterprise/National is KU’s mandatory contracted vendor where available. Our contracted rates, which include Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) fees, are loaded into Concur. If you must rent a vehicle from another car vendor due to Enterprise/National unavailability, you may choose another vendor notated with the yellow exception triangle and choose the appropriate reason code. Additionally, you should purchase CDW as it is not included in the rental price shown for other vendors. It is recommended that the traveler or travel arranger be prepared to provide an after-the-fact explanation, if requested to do so.
Yes. To add or modify a car, click the name of the trip you wish to modify in the My Trips section of the Concur Home Page. From the Travel Details page, in the Trip Overview section you can Add a Car to the existing trip. If you add the car separately and not to an existing trip, your itinerary items will not be consolidated into a single itinerary which can cause issues. There is no fee to add a rental car reservation to an existing trip.
If your organization has a negotiated rate with a rental company, you may see a contracted rate and a published rate for the same car type with the same company. Unless the rate is drastically higher, you should always select the contracted rate as it may include benefits or settings that are pertinent to your organization and only included in that negotiated rate.
Miscellaneous Booking Questions
Yes. Concur Mobile is available for iPhone, and Android devices. It can be used to book travel, review trip itineraries & expenses, and submit receipts while traveling. It can also be used by Approvers to approve Requests and Expense Reports.
Yes. Concur offers the same inventory (Global Distribution System) for airlines, rental cars, and hotels that other travel agencies or travel systems offer. The advantage that Concur offers is they partner with Southwest Airlines, Air Canada, and other direct connect suppliers so their inventory is more complete than others.
Out of policy options are identified in several ways in Concur Travel. Items that are slightly out of policy and may need additional consideration are noted with a yellow caution sign. If booked, it will be listed in a monthly report sent to KU’s Travel Program Manager. Items that are out of policy are noted with a red sign and are not allowed to book or they have been blocked from our Concur content. To identify the reason for the icon, click the icon itself and more details will be provided.
Yes. Any trip booked for a KU employee with a CTP agent will be uploaded into Concur overnight. Guest travel booked directly with a CTP agent cannot be uploaded to an arranger’s Concur profile.
Upon the completion of your booking in Concur Travel, you will immediately receive an itinerary confirmation emailed from Concur Travel <TravelWizard@concusolutions.com>. You will also receive a second email from Concur Online <email@example.com> when CTP has completed the Airline Ticketing process. This email from CTP will includes the airline ticket confirmation as well as the $9.00 Agent/Service Fee receipt. Additionally, you can view your itinerary from the Trip Library section in Concur.
Yes. You can assign access in your profile to as many Travel Arrangers as needed. Go to your Profile and either scroll to the page to the “Assistants and Travel Arrangers” box or click “Assistants/Arrangers” from the My Profile menu on the left side of the page. Click Add an Assistant to add the person who you would like to authorize to book your travel. This person can update your profile, make any travel arrangements for you, and view upcoming your trips.
You can book travel for all non-employees traveling on KU business utilizing the Book for Guest link found under Trip Search on the Concur Home Page. The Book for Guest feature should not be used for KU Employees.
No, booking online through Concur Travel is for business purposes only. If a employee chooses, they can call CTP to make spouse/companion arrangements using personal funds. Please be sure to tell them that you are booking one business trip and one companion trip. This way, they can enjoy the same frequent flyer benefits that you do and you can be assured of sitting together. There will be a $20.00 fee for a domestic or international ticket. This is the KU negotiated fee for agent assisted tickets. For this fee you get:
- Booking and coordinating the travel for both parties in one phone call.
- Fare monitoring – if the fare decreases more than the applicable airline’s change fee then we automatically reissue for the lower fare.
- Fare discounts – KU and CTP network discounts on air and hotels where applicable.
- Automatic Re-accommodation – If the airlines change their schedule, our agents will work with you and the airlines to get you re-accommodated on an appropriate schedule for your business purpose and coordinate down line travel arrangements as needed.
- Assistance while traveling – Available 24/7 worldwide.
- Advocacy – in the event of a service failure on behalf of a supplier, we will work with you and the supplier to reach a resolution.
- Multiple travel options across all applicable suppliers in one phone call to ensure the best fare and routing for the business purpose.
Personal vacation packages can be arranged for free with CTP’s leisure department, Rennert Travel. Visit their website at http://www.rennerttravel.com/ for more info.
Changes to flight purchases can be made without penalty within 24 hours of purchase. Contact CTP at 877-630-1232 to assist you with the correction. Otherwise changes can be made in Concur via your trip itinerary. Note: airline change fees and a CTP agent fee will likely apply.
You can add, change, or cancel a Flight, Hotel or Car Reservation online through Concur Travel.
- Changes can be made online that include a single carrier. If you booked using multiple carriers or just wish to have CTP make the changes on your behalf, please call CTP at 877-630-1232 between 8am – 5pm, M-F to assist you or After Hours Emergency Support l 877-200-1501 | 5:00 pm – 8:00 am CST, M-F, Weekends & Holidays
- If the trip is already ticketed but has not occurred, you can change the time and/or date of the flight. Your change options will be with the same airline and routing. Please note an airline change fee may apply and you will incur an Agent Fee as this is essentially a new ticket.
- If the trip is already in progress, the traveler will need to contact CTP to make any necessary changes.
- Trips booked or modified outside of Concur travel cannot be modified in Concur.
- Check the hotel cancellation policy to ensure you are changing or cancelling within the cancellation timeline to avoid fees or penalties. Contact CTP to assist with cancellations within the cancellation penalty period.